Work with me
Positive reinforcement training for both of you!
I have spent more than a decade studying the relationship between a dog’s behavior and his/her environment. Working together during our work together, we will identify the behavior concern, establish environmental root causes, and implement management strategies to prevent the concern from escalating.
From there, we will design a canine enrichment plan to ensure your dog's needs are being met and develop a customized training plan to teach you and your dog alternative behaviors. With a positive dog training approach, there is no need to punish the problematic behaviors. Instead, this proactive approach teaches your dog what behaviors you'd like to see instead.
Prioritizing the relationship
When we learn the why and how dogs respond to their environment, we become more aware of ourselves and our behavior. From that awareness, transformation is not just possible, it’s inevitable.
This process is more than just dog training. It’s the pet parent and dog working together, learning from one another, and transforming simultaneously. During our sessions, we’ll focus on my Six Connection Principles between you and your dog, noting how important they are to the overall training process.
#1: Your Dog's Environment
- Understanding your dog's behavior and their relationship to the world is the first step in dog training private lessons
- Understanding what your dog is communicating with you and others
Noelle & Finn
“Marissa’s approach catalyzed a paradigm shift, challenging me to reconsider what it means to have a relationship with my dog. In talking with other pet parents, it seems like people think training is imparting a set of rules that the dog follows in order to make life easier for the pet parents. I used to think of my dog purely in the service of my own needs, which meant that when he misbehaved he was thwarting me, instead of recognizing him as his own being with his own needs and desires separate from mine. This mindset shift really helped me to view the relationship more as a dance and less as a dictatorship.”
Liz & Titan
"Marissa’s holistic approach to behavior modification was just what my reactive dog and I needed. From simple environmental changes to training instruction to connecting me to additional resources, Marissa’s focus on the quality of the relationship allowed me to see my dog through new eyes and provide the help he needs to thrive. Her patient and steadfast support and genuine interest in our progress and success has transformed how I relate to my dog and how he relates to me. We both cannot recommend her highly enough!"
#2: Your Environment
- Noticing how your thoughts and behavior impact your dog’s behavior and the training process
- Introducing the Six Connection Principles for success
- Using this process to increase self-awareness and curiosity in all areas of your life
#3: Behavior Change for Everyone
- Developing realistic training and behavior expectations
- Implementing management strategies and positive reinforcement training techniques
- Achieving successful human and canine behavior change
Let's Get Started!
Everyone starts with an Initial Consultation. And, in order to create lasting and successful behavior change, the monthly package is a must. Behavior change is not a linear process, for both the dog AND the human. There are many variables that can affect the success of the training plan. Together, we explore the best strategies and solutions for you and your dog!
Where To Start:
- 90 minute virtual session with Marissa
- Review of your dog’s behavior history
- Identify your training goals and their impact
- Discuss the training and behavior modification process
- Introduce The Six Connection Principles and discuss how important self-awareness is to this process
- Implement enrichment, management and prevention solutions to provide immediate relief
- Discuss next steps (monthly program process)
- Personalized training plan sent after the session
6 Week Program
- 3 one hour in-person training sessions (or virtually if outside my service area)
- 1 virtual coaching session
- Educational videos and materials to support you
- Unlimited email support during business hours
- Video review of your training sessions
- Guidance and coaching on the implementation of your custom, force-free, positive reinforcement training and enrichment strategies
- Safe and supportive space to develop the self awareness necessary to support the behavior change process for you and your dog
- Continued discussion of Marissa’s Six Connection Principles
- Reassessment at the end of the package for additional support
I see clients both virtually (case by case) and in-person.
When we practice observing and shifting our thoughts and behavior patterns, our relationship has the possibility of including more connection. My Six Connection Principles is a framework that can be used in all relationships, especially the one between you and your dog.
Tyler & K
"I had the pleasure of working with Marissa when I was facing some difficulties with my German Shepherd, K. He was great in most contexts, but he would bark whenever someone new showed up at the house. Marissa helped me understand what was actually going on. She helped me understand how scary it was for him to suddenly have someone else in the house. Marissa showed me how to set up the environment for success, and showed me the training process in order to change his behavior. I love the big, fuzzy guy - and Marissa is the reason he's doing so well now. I can't recommend her enough."